[Click] Click on android without superuser

Mano Vandemoortel vandemoortel.mano at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 11:02:22 EST 2012

Hello,

I would like to use Click on android to realize ad-hoc communication
between smartphones, as I am currently working on my master thesis. I
have built Click for Android following the instructions here:

http://article.gmane.org/**gmane.network.routing.click/**7590

and copied some default configuration files, such as conf/test.click
and conf/test-device.click, to my testing device, a Samsung Galaxy
Apollo i5800. I have succeeded in running Click via ADB in userlevel
with the former configuration, yet the latter fails, outputting:

conf/test-device.click:20: While initializing 'FromDevice at 1 :: FromDevice':
  eth0: socket: Operation not permitted
Router could not be initialized!

Since my thesis is a proof-of-concept for a marketable application, I
am not allowed to root my Android device. Is it possible to create a
FromDevice(eth0) on an Android device without root permissions?

Thanks in advance,

Mano Vandemoortel