[Click] Patchless kernel click problem

Roman Chertov rchertov at cs.ucsb.edu
Wed May 11 19:45:51 EDT 2011

So I did some digging and according to the diagram in the link below,
the observed behavior is correct.

http://book.chinaunix.net/special/ebook/oreilly/Understanding_Linux_Network_Internals/

Prior to passing frames to the br_handle_frame_hook, the frames are
duplicated and sent to the registered sniffers.  However, once the
frames are sent to the bridge handler they are not supposed to be passed
to any protocols.  I did a few tests with arping and it does appear that
the IP stack does not receive the frames once Click is running.
However, the ARP requests can still be seen via tcpdump, confirming the
behavior shown in the diagram.

Roman