[Click] Patchless kernel click problem

Roman Chertov rchertov at cs.ucsb.edu
Fri May 6 12:40:54 EDT 2011

So I spent some time on the issue I reported earlier with packets being visible
to the kernel IP stack when running kernel level Click.  I have installed a
plain vanilla kernel 2.6.35.9 on my Fedora14 box, and ran the following config.

FromDevice(eth12) -> Print -> Discard;

I have also ran tcpdump -i eth12.  The packets that were sent to the machine
were captured by tcpdump, which definitely should not have happened.  Looks like
the br_handle_frame_hook capture method gets the packets after they get on the
way to the kernel IP stack.  This behavior is definitely not good for some
kernel level configs as the kernel IP stack should not be involved in packet
processing at all.

By the way, Joonwoo reported the same issue on his Ubuntu setup.

Roman