[Click] Click project activity

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Sep 21 19:33:54 EDT 2010

Roman, Beyers, Joonwoo, all,

Thank you for your continued interest in the health of Click.

So, who wants to step up and be a maintainer?  That is the key question.  And
now's your chance.

    http://github.com/kohler/click

Let me know if you want to be a collaborator on github and I may well add you.

The read.cs.ucla.edu repository will remain maintained as it currently is.  It
will be accessible via the "classic" branch on github.  The "master" branch
will be for collaboration.

There were concrete questions about NAPI, etc., etc.  If you want a patch
integrated in the mainline, express support for that patch.  Test the patch.
Provide feedback about the coding style of the patch.  Do all of this in
public.  Posters, post the patch again.  And the patch will get integrated!
NAPI was specifically mentioned; only Joonwoo has installed/expressed support
for it that I can find, and it is not an insignificant patch.

Lots of changes have happened to Click recently, actually.  Patchless is a big
deal.  Few have really tested it or helped take it the extra mile.  Step up to
the plate and help out!!  Otherwise, don't complain.  I don't want to see
additional patches for Linux versions until patchless is ready.  Also, I
continue to see questions on the list about 1.6.0.  Screw that!!  1.8.0 is a
big deal.  Step up to the plate, use it, and help out.

I'm sorry that lack of feedback has discouraged people from posting patches.
Occasional silence will continue; Click is not my full time job.  But buck up
and submit again.  Joonwoo, I've appreciated your contributions in the past,
and have spent significant time helping shepherd your patches to the best
form.  I'd love for other people to help shepherd patches too.

THANKS: There are a couple people on this list who consistently send useful,
relevant replies to questions and/or post ready-to-integrate code.  I'm going
to call out by name Cliff Frey, Ian Rose, Roman Chertov, Beyers Cronje, Bart
Braem, and Harald Schiöberg.  I appreciate this enormously.  Joonwoo Park in
particular has tackled challenging problems with good taste.  Although it
takes a while to integrate your patches, Click is better for it.  Thank you.
And thanks to everyone else who participates.

Eddie