[Click] Recommendation for network TAPs

Beyers Cronje bcronje at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 16:36:34 EST 2009

> > I would NOT recommend using Click as a tap:  A good Ethernet tap is "fail
> > open": if the power dies or something happens, the network dies.
> Agreed. I am not very much keen on using Click as a tap device since
> (i) I do not want to include tapping artifacts in the packet
> parameters (timestamp accuracy, delay)  (ii) I want the tap to be
> extremely reliable.

I agree, Click as a tap is not a good idea for all the given reasons.  One
possible solution if you have to use Click is to use one of Intel's bypass
adapter which offers all the bypass features of traditional ethernet taps,
see for example
http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro1000_quad_bypass_server_adapters.htm

Creating SPAN sessions on Cisco switches do not hold well esp if it's
> a ISR (Cisco 3845)..On the 6504s' I had issues with the SPAN rate and
> mirrored rate providing different values  due to ASIC limitations or
> IOS bugs.

I have had success using SPAN/RSPAN, but I recommend you give the VACL
Capture Port feature a go as we've had greatest performance with it:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk814/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808122ac.shtml

> I am looking to use taps for full-duplex 1Gbps line rate. I am
> exploring aggregate and the non-aggregate varieties.. Any
> recommendation of vendors/companies?

The NetOptics products look great. I haven't used them before but they are
ontop of my list should I need a tap in the future. Have a look at
http://www.netoptics.com/

Beyers