[Click] Recommendation for network TAPs

Latency Buster latencybuster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 17:11:48 EST 2009

> One possible solution if you have to use Click is to use one of Intel's bypass adapter which offers all the bypass features of traditional ethernet taps, see for example http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro1000_quad_bypass_server_adapters.htm

I have not used this Intel card.. but does it differ much from the
standard PCIe based Intel GigE Cards?

> I have had success using SPAN/RSPAN, but I recommend you give the VACL Capture Port feature a go as we've had greatest performance with it:

I have used this feature before.. The problem is sometimes the packet
mirroring function comes before the ACL logic is applied.. So, you see
packets which otherwise would have not come out from the port.

> The NetOptics products look great. I haven't used them before but they are ontop of my list should I need a tap in the future. Have a look at http://www.netoptics.com/

I cannot comment reliably here but from the feedbacks I got from my
colleagues it looks like www.networktaps.com is also a good source
(apart from Netoptics).