[Click] Recommendation for network TAPs

Latency Buster latencybuster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 13:53:47 EST 2009

> I would NOT recommend using Click as a tap:  A good Ethernet tap is "fail
> open": if the power dies or something happens, the network dies.
Agreed. I am not very much keen on using Click as a tap device since
(i) I do not want to include tapping artifacts in the packet
parameters (timestamp accuracy, delay)  (ii) I want the tap to be
extremely reliable.

> > The real question is what speed network and what type of media.
1000Mbps and media type primarily copper (rj45)/

> For many cases, you can configure the switch itself to mirror all output
> from a port to a second ethernet.  The disadvantage is you will lose traffic
> if the duplexed data rate is above the link rate.

Creating SPAN sessions on Cisco switches do not hold well esp if it's
a ISR (Cisco 3845)..On the 6504s' I had issues with the SPAN rate and
mirrored rate providing different values  due to ASIC limitations or
IOS bugs.

I am looking to use taps for full-duplex 1Gbps line rate. I am
exploring aggregate and the non-aggregate varieties.. Any
recommendation of vendors/companies?