[Click] FromDAG

Marco Canini marco at reti.dist.unige.it
Sun Nov 2 06:52:57 EST 2008

Hi,

endace cards are indeed very expensive.

It is possible to use FromDevice and a DAG enabled version of libpcap to
read packets from the card. All that you need to do is to compile
libpcap with support for DAG:
./configure --with-dag=/path/to/dag/sdk --prefix=/path/to/libpcap-dag
make && make install

And then configure Click with the right libpcap:
export CPPFLAGS=-I/path/to/libpcap-dag/include
export LDFLAGS=-L/path/to/libpcap-dag/lib
./configure ...

Of course it is possible to write a new element that calls the DAG api
directly. However, is this going to make a substantial difference for
this application?
For the original application (dumping packets to disk), it is clear to
see the advantage of having the card using DMA transfer to transfer
groups of packets into memory and having the software to copying big
chunks of memory at a time into disk.
Instead, an hypothetical FromDAG element will read a group of packets
with DAG api and then push each packet individually.
So it apperas to me that you just avoid a couple of function calls into
libpcap which is already doing the above.

cheers