[Click] Two questions on multithreaded Click!

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Wed May 23 15:18:50 EDT 2007

Hi Eleanor,

The user level version of Click is not multithreaded, although as Beyers
says we have some experience with running a multithreaded Click process.
  In which case all packets are handled by one thread, and secondary
threads do extra processing.  These secondary threads are controlled
from elements inside the Click router.  For example, you might have an
element that farms out packets for encryption to secondary threads.

Don't have anything to add to Beyers's notes on 2.6.20: we have no
2.6.20 patch at the moment.

Eddie