[Click] Two questions on multithreaded Click!

Beyers Cronje bcronje at gmail.com
Tue May 22 17:42:17 EDT 2007

Hi Eleanor,

> Is the user level version of Click! multithreaded? I remember reading
> somewhere that it is not, but I cannot find that reference.

User level Click is single threaded. StaticThreadSched and
BalancedThreadSched used to schedule elements on specific threads are kernel
only elements.

Also see the following links for references:
https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/pipermail/click/2005-July/004079.html
https://amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu/pipermail/click/2004-September/003126.html

I believe some have experimented with pthreads, see
https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/pipermail/click/2007-January/005579.html

Are there kernel patches later than 2.6.19 for running the kernel
> driver? We are running Click! on Debian 2.6.20 and the patches do not
> apply cleanly to that kernel.

The latest kernel patch in CVS is 2.6.19.2. Why dont you just run
2.6.19.2on your Debian box?

Hope this helps a bit.

Beyers