[Click] Open Source PIM-SM

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Fri Sep 29 12:40:24 EDT 2006

[Disclamer: biased opinion, because I am working on XORP]

Alberto Martínez <albertovenus at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for open source SW that implements PIM-SM. So far I've come
> across several things, but none of them seem to be "quite ready" yet,
> namely:
>
>   - PIMD has been declared obsolete.
>   - XORP says it supports PIM-SM (not bidirectional yet) but there are still
> things to be polished   (according to the sw status report on their website)

The things that need to be polished in XORP PIM-SM are actually just
few and they are relatively minor, so probably they won't matter for
most practical purposes. In fact, it has been relatively stable and
has been used by a number of institutions for at least an year.

If you run into any issues, you can use the xorp-hackers or
xorp-users mailing lists for help.

Hope that helps,
Pavlin