[Click] Roofnet on OPENWRT

Bob Keyes bob at sinister.com
Thu Mar 23 14:10:54 EST 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Roberto Riggio wrote:

> Here come the question. In order to run roofnet it is mandatory to have
> an Atheros wifi card? If, not, we could run in some limitation by using
> the broadcom adapter that is shipped with our future mesh nodes?

At this time, yes. Older versions of roofnet were able to utilize a prism2
card, but I believe that the current versions only support Broadcom.

The ASUS WL-500G has a Broadcom WL-500G wifi chipset in it. It is supposed
to be on a Mini-PCI card. You could replace this with a high-power,
high-sensitivity card such as the Ubiquiti SR2. This is what I have done.
If the cost is too high for you, I can sell you some lower powered Atheros
Mini-PCI cards which I have removed from NetGear WGT634Us. Contact me off
the list if you are interested.

Some time ago, it was said here that, in theory, any open-source driver
which supported pseudo-IBSS could be modified to be compatible with
Click/Roofnet. I believe the Zydas chipset fills these requirements. There
is also now an open-source driver for the Broadcom wifi chipset. While I
see no explicit mention of pseudo-IBSS in it's documentation or source
code, I wonder if it couldn't also eventually be used with Roofnet.

-Bob Keyes