[Click] ftp over modular router

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Feb 5 22:26:11 EST 2006

Hi Sedi,

Basically you want to build a transparent traffic diverter.  You will need to
use the NAT elements and FromHost to make this work.  Basically, what you will
want to do is this: (1) Use a Click element to classify packets into rate
classes.  (2) Run each class through an IPRewriter, which rewrites the packets
so they look like they come from some unexpected address class, such as
10.255.255.0/24.  (3) Send the results ToHost.  (4) Write a FromHost element
that outputs packets sent to 10.255.255.0/24.  (5) Send those packets back
through the IPRewriter.

See Figure 8 in our OpenArch 2002 paper, "Modular components for network
address translation"; and then check out this fragment, which I have not
tested at all.

c :: TrafficClassifier; // outputs c[0]...c[2] are the 3 classes

iprwpattern :: IPRewriterPatterns(pat 10.255.255.1 1024-65535 - -);

iprw :: IPRewriter(pattern pat 0 1,
                    pattern pat 0 2,
                    pattern pat 0 3,
                    drop);

c[0] -> [0]iprw;
c[1] -> [1]iprw;
c[2] -> [2]iprw;

iprw[0] -> ToHost;

FromHost(fake0, 10.255.255/24)
     -> /* Classifier/ARP machinery from Figure 8 of named paper, or
           man FromHost */;

/*FromHost IP packets*/ -> [3]iprw;

iprw[1] -> /* traffic class 0 to network */
iprw[2] -> /* traffic class 1 to network */
iprw[3] -> /* traffic class 2 to network */

Eddie