[Click] help constructing a custom package

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Dec 30 21:11:51 EST 2006

Hi Nick,

Nicholas Murphy wrote:
> I'm sorry to be sending so many notes to the list, but I can't figure
> out what I'm supposed to be doing to construct my own package:
>
> I tried copying the files in etc/samplepackage to elements/
> attribution, and edited them accordingly.  I ran autoconf in the new
> directory, followed by configure.  When I run make, it gives me all
> kinds of linker errors related to functions in Element.

Cool. Just let me make sure you understand how packages work.  A Click
package is compiled separately from Click itself, then linked in
dynamically at run time.  Click loads packages named in "require"
statements.

Who is giving you the linker errors, the kernel module?  I believe those
errors are actually warnings and you can ignore them.

Were you able to successfully install & run the existing sample package
(i.e. without any changes)?

>  If I run the
> toplevel make (even after rerunning autoconf and configure), it
> doesn't pick up the new elements.

Right, it wouldn't, because the package is so separate.

Eddie