[Click] peak packet forwarding rate measurement

Eddie Kohler kohler at CS.UCLA.EDU
Thu Jul 29 14:54:35 EDT 2004

> So, how would we create, for example, an input rate vs. forwarding rate
> graph, as in the original click paper?  Would we compare the sum of the
> "count"  handlers of the senders' InfiniteSource elements against the
> "count" handler of a Counter element placed right before the packets
> are
> forwarded by the router to the receivers (the last ToDevice in the
> configuration on the router)?

That is not quite good enough, because the incoming NIC might drop some
packets, and the outgoing NIC might drop some packets; and maintaining
those counters will have a small, but nonzero, cost.

The best way to do this is to use three [sets of] machines, and measure
the number of packets the senders thought they sent vs. the number of
packets the receivers actually received.  That's what we did in the
original click paper; the scripts are available if you're interested.

But you can get pretty close to that with NIC statistics counters.

Eddie