[Click] Re: Re: packet loss

zhengchuanbo zhengcb at netpower.com.cn
Fri Jul 18 10:23:19 EDT 2003

hi,

	my click configuration is as follows. i tried FromDevice and PollDevice,
and Idle which is metioned on the mailing list.
	my experimental setup is simple. i use smartbit6000B,with smartapplication.
64Byte packets are sent to one NIC, and smartbits count the number of packets
received from the other NIC. i tried both uni-direction and bi-direction. in both
conditions it always lost several packets,until the rate is reduced to 15kpps.

//FromDevice(eth2) -> c0 :: Classifier(12/0806 20/0001,
PollDevice(eth2) -> c0 :: Classifier(12/0806 20/0001,
                                     12/0806 20/0002,
                                     12/0800,
                                     -);
FromDevice(eth3) -> c1 :: Classifier(12/0806 20/0001,
                                     12/0806 20/0002,
                                     12/0800,
                                     -);

out :: Queue(1024) -> ToDevice(eth3);
//out :: Queue(2048) -> ToDevice(eth3,80);
out2 :: Queue(1024) -> ToDevice(eth2);

// ARP request need to be answered, obviously
c0[0]
    -> Print(ok-arprequest)
    -> ARPResponder(7.0.0.1 00:C0:95:E1:FC:D6)
    -> out;
c1[0]
    -> Print(ok-arprequest)
    -> ARPResponder(7.0.0.1 00:C0:95:E1:FC:D6)
    -> out;

// ARP responses are handed to Linux
c0[1]
    -> Print(ok-tohost)
    -> ToHost();
c1[1]
    -> Print(ok-tohost)
    -> ToHost();

// Non-IP packets are dropped
c0[3]
    //-> Print(ok-noip)
    -> out;
c1[3]
//    -> Print(ok-noip)
    -> out2;

// Other IP packets. Split on UDP, TCP and rest
c0[2]
    -> Idle ->out;
c1[2]
    -> out2;

>Hi,
>
>I still have not figured out the solution and my problem is more strange..i have
>two machines which are a bit different in hardware ..on one of those machines it
>works and on other one does not. And my loss is due to receive buffer overruns
>as indicated by ifconfig.I made sure that there as no traffic from other source
>or on other interfaces by shutting done otehr interfaces but i just can not get
>rid of that loss.
>It will be really helpful if we could figure out the solution for that.
>
>What configuration are you using and what is your experimental setup..??
>
>Thanks
>Shilpi
>

>Quoting zhengchuanbo <zhengcb at netpower.com.cn>:
>
>> hi,Agarwal,
>>
>> 	i just found you mail on click mailing list. i met the same problem as
>> yours.
>> 	the NIC i used is PRO/1000,and i can't get all the packets when testing with
>> smartbits.
>> the system always lost several packets, until the rate is reduced to about
>> 15k pps.
>> 	have you found the reason?
>>

>> jack zheng
>> E-mail: zhengcb at netpower.com.cn