Does anyone have a working Click config file for 802.1D compliant switch ?

Krishna Reddy skreddy at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 15:37:43 EST 2002

I managed to get a config from the CVS archives. I edited out
the unwanted devices from this config and I tried it out both
a PC and the MPC8245 board. I get different set of problems on
each, which are described below. Could someone please take
a look and suggest what might be wrong with my config ?

thanks,
Krishna

First of here is the config file I'm using:
PollDevice(eth0) -> f0 :: Classifier(14/4242, 0/0080C6FCED9C, -);
PollDevice(eth1) -> f1 :: Classifier(14/4242, 0/0080C6FCE9AE, -);

w0 :: Queue(10000) -> ToDevice(eth0);
w1 :: Queue(10000) -> ToDevice(eth1);

s  :: EtherSwitch;
in :: Suppressor;
out:: Suppressor;

f0[2] -> [0]in[0] -> [0]s[0] -> [0]out[0] -> w0;
f1[2] -> [1]in[1] -> [1]s[1] -> [1]out[1] -> w1;

st :: EtherSpanTree(00:02:03:04:05:06, in, out, s);
f0[0] -> [0]st[0] -> w0;
f1[0] -> [1]st[1] -> w1;

f0[1] -> ToLinux;
f1[1] -> ToLinux;

I ran the above config file through 'click-align' before using it on
the 8245 board.

On the PC, started pumping traffic into 'eth0' at about 30000 pps
and everything fine for about 20 seconds and then the queue 'w1'
starts to overflow. Here is the log message:
click: starting router thread pid 2324 (d9aa72c0)
chatter: Changing port 0 from 1 to 2
chatter: Changing port 1 from 1 to 2
chatter: Changing port 0 from 2 to 3
chatter: Changing port 1 from 2 to 3
chatter: Queue w1 overflow
chatter: Queue w0 overflow
I changed the queue depth from default value of 1000 to 3000
and it stay alive for a few more seconds.

The PC is a Intel P3 running @ 1GHz, with 512Mb SDRAM.
The two NICs that I'm using in this PC are tulip clones from
Macronix based on their 98715 chip. I was hoping to see line rate
pkt performance on this setup.

Interestingly enough, when I use the config below, with briding configured
in the Linux kernel, I can pump almost line rate traffic through the PC.
With vanilla Linux (2.4.16), I can only pump about 70,000 pkts through
the PC.
PollDevice(eth1) -> ToLinux;
Idle -> ToDevice(eth1);

On the 8245, I was not able to seen any traffic go through the box.
However, I keep getting the error messages, such as:
"floating point used in the kernel"