Possibilities of the Click package

Robert Morris rtm at amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Jun 28 10:23:01 EDT 2001

Andre,

You're right, Click mostly focuses on packet processing and
forwarding.

We run DNS and DHCP servers as ordinary user-level Linux programs on
the same machine as the Click router. We use the DNS and DHCP software
that comes with Linux.

Similarly, we run route discovery software, like RIP and BGP, as
user-level programs, and have them communicate (by handlers) with IP
forwarding Click elements such as LookupIPRoute2. You could also use
the Click LookupIPRouteLinux, which reads the ordinary Linux
forwarding table.  Then any program, such as routed or gated, which
wrote the Linux forwarding table would also control Click forwarding.

Click includes some firewall features directly, in particular
pattern-based filtering of packets. Click can also easily cooperate
with user-level firewall/proxy programs, helping them transparently
intercept and modify TCP connections. You can read about the details
in this paper; there's a firewall example in section 5.3:

  http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/papers/click-rewriter/

Click doesn't support IP multicast.

Click doesn't directly support DNS application level gateways.  But it
does have good support for diverting selected packets through
user-level programs.

Robert