strange behaviour

Eddie Kohler kohler at aciri.org
Thu Jun 28 15:46:55 EDT 2001

Hi Werner,

You have put your finger on the problem :)

> If I bypass the IPClassifier and put both flows in one Counter and
> one Discard, it works. The click-install doesn't report any problems. Is
> there a supplementary element needed (e.g. CheckIPHeader)?

The important bit of the IPClassifier manual here is:

    The input packets must have their IP header annotation set;
    CheckIPHeader(n) and MarkIPHeader(n) do this.

You don't have either of these elements. Therefore, the IP header
annotation is not set, and your configuration won't work -- it may even
crash your machine with a null pointer dereference.

I would suggest changing this line

>   class[1]
>  -> class1;

    class[1]
   -> MarkIPHeader(14)		// 14 == skip Ethernet header
   -> class1;

... except that this will catch non-IP packets such as ARP responses,
because of your Classifier. A better configuration string for your
Classifier is

    class :: Classifier(12/0806 20/0001, 12/0800);

love,
ed