Possibilities of the Click package

ing. J.G. Kleibeuker kleibeuk at natlab.research.philips.com
Thu Jun 28 09:54:44 EDT 2001

Hi Click Developer,

Tuesday I send a mail to Frans Kaashoek (kaashoek at pdos.lcs.mit.edu (?)) about the possibilities of Click and the current development. For some reason he didn't reply, but may be you can help me as wel or ask Frans. It would be very helpfull if you can answer those questions for me quit quickly because we are a little bit on hold at the moment.

I wrote to Frans:

This morning I had an initial discussion with Huib Eggenhuizen (Philips Research) about the possibilities of Click and the way of communication towards MIT (Click).

Currently we are investigating the possibilities of Click to see if it can help us with our prototype of a Gateway. Last week I played a little bit with Click to see how it works and what the difficulties are. First impression was good but we still have some questions about functionality, which I could not locate in the element list that was given on the Internet.

Our initial increment, of the Gateway, has to support DNS/DHCP functionality at the private (in home) network.

Q1] Does Click support DHCP server and relay agent functionality?

Q2] Does Click support DNS functionality, and how well is this interacting with DHCP (dynamic DNS?)?

Click elements supports basic dynamic routing by the RIPSend and the LookIPRoute2 elements.

Q3] Somewhere in the documentation was stated "Note that this is just a tiny piece of a full RIP implementation", Is there any activity going on to implement the rest of RIPv2 and does Click support protocols like OSPF?

Q4] The element LookupIPRoute2 has some dynamic routing possibilities via Element Handlers. Is it possible to access these handlers by other elements to update routing tables?

In the upcoming increments we also identify the following functionality:

DNS_ALG, Needed to be able to initiate connection from a remote access point.

Q5] Does Click support DNS_ALG (extensions)?

With some elements it is possible to build a basic firewall (IP filtering) but its unclear to me if Click supports the other levels of protection like:

Q6] Does Click support fire walling at the TCP level?

Q7] Does Click support fire walling at the application level (proxies) and which applications are supported?

Multicasting and IGMP:

Q8] Does Click support Multicasting and IGMP?

Some general questions.

Q9] What kind of functionality is currently under development by the Click team?

Q10] What is the scoop of the Click software, to me it look like the scoop is limited to "core" router functionality and has no focus on related subjects like DHCP, fire walling, etc?

We are trying to figure out if Click is a good software package for our needs. It would be very helpful if you can answer those questions for us.

Thanx in advance,

Andre Kleibeuker

(Dutch reply is fine by me)