newbee click questions

George V. Neville-Neil gnn at windriver.com
Tue Jun 26 16:27:10 EDT 2001

> I think first we should make sure that this solution would not suffice:
>
> > However, you can easily make a single configuration file by concatentating
> > the multiple Click graphs, then run that. As long as the element names do
> > not conflict, this will work.
>
> 'cat' -- tool of the new millennium :) Or use 'click-combine', a slightly
> more sophisticated 'cat'.

Perhaps I'm missing something but if I want to identical copies of the router,
but with different configuration data, to be running at the same time
I don't think this solutions suffices.

I just read the click-combine man page and it does not indicate that this
is what I would get from the combination.  Correct me if I'm wrong but
it seems that that tool combines multiple, independent, but related
routers through link elements and what I want is the following:

|  Linux Kernel
                                  |

|    ----------          ----------

|    |                    |           |                    |

|    |  Router A   |           | Router B    |

|    |                    |           |                    |

|    |                    |           |                    |

|    --| ----| ---        --| -----|--

|         |          |                    |            |

|   10.0.0.1  10.0.0.2     10.0.0.1   10.0.0.2

|         |           |                   |            |

----|-----|---------|-----|-------------------------------
       eth0   eth1               eth2     eth3

So that there are four interfaces, 2 assigned to each click router, and
the two routers do NOT share any information.  I know there are ramifications
for parts of Click that interact with the OS (such as the routing table)
but those I know about.  If each could be it's own thread that would
be great too.

Makes sense?

Later,
George

George V. Neville-Neil                                  gnn at windriver.com

"I realize that when I have more ideas than others, I give those others
my ideas, if they want to accept them; and that, to me, is leading."

Baron Cosimo Piovasco di Rondo from _The Baron in The Trees_ by Italo
Calvino