compile error(twice) for 2.4.5

powell molleti powellm79 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 01:19:21 EDT 2001

hi everyone,

 i was trying to compile click-1.2.1 as a kernel
module for linux kernel-2.4.5.

I patched the kernel-2.4.5 with linux-2.4.4-patch.

Then when i was compiling click it bailed out twice.
The following steps are.

 # ./configure

 <done>

 # cd linuxmodule/
 # gmake

 <error 1>

  -I/usr/src/linux/include -MD -DCLICK_LINUXMODULE
-fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -fvtable-thunks  -O2 -c
../lib/templatei.cc
In file included from
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/if_pppox.h:29,
                 from
/usr/src/linux/include/net/sock.h:74,
                 from
/usr/src/linux/include/net/ip.h:39,
                 from
/usr/src/linux/include/net/checksum.h:31,
                 from ../include/click/click_ip.h:7,
                 from ../include/click/ipaddress.hh:5,
                 from ../include/click/packet.hh:3,
                 from ../include/click/element.hh:6,
                 from ../include/click/router.hh:3,
                 from ../lib/templatei.cc:21:
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/ppp_channel.h:37: parse
error before `private'
gmake: *** [templatei.o] Error 1

</error 1>

humm private is a reseved keyword for C++??
and the line 37 of ppp_channel.h is:

 36: struct ppp_channel {
 37:   void       *private; /* channel private data */

After getting over this error. i again compiled and i
got the following error

 <error 2>
    -I/usr/src/linux/include -MD -DCLICK_LINUXMODULE
-fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -fvtable-thunks  -O2 -c
module.cc
module.cc: In function `void cleanup_module ()':
module.cc:365: `lookup_one' undeclared (first use this
function)
module.cc:365: (Each undeclared identifier is reported
only once for
each function it appears in.)
gmake: *** [module.o] Error 1

 </error 2>

 line 365 : module.cc :
 truct dentry *click_de = lookup_one("/proc/click",
0); // XXX?

 hummm --> XXX??? what was that?
 anyway there is no function call lookup_one is the
kernel the only simlar to it was
  struct dentry * lookup_one_len(const char *, struct
dentry *, int);

  humm after fixing this thing finally click got
compiled but i was unable to insmod click ,it gave
me a error :/.

does it all mean that the patch to the linux kernel
did
not went well?.

<snip>

./drivers/net/tulip/interrupt.c.rej

</snip>

that was the only error i got while patching.

i m a newbie with respect to click and linux kernel
source , hence please ignore if my mail was stupid.

I hope you guys respond soon.
thank you all

cya
powell