[Click] Unable to compile patched 2.6.24.7 kernel

avinash sridharan avinash.sridharan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:54:08 EST 2012

Avinash Sridharan <avinash.sridharan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>  I am running gentoo with the following configuration:
> Linux avi-server 3.1.0-gentoo #3 SMP Tue Nov 8 00:07:22 Local time zone
> must be set--see zic m x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz
> GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>
> I am trying to install a "click" enabled linux kernel. Accordingly I
> obtained the click sources from git, downloaded kernel 2.6.24 (NOTE:
> 26.24.7 is not available on kernel.org), and patched the downloaded kernel
> with the patch provided in the click sources. However, after patching and
> enabling some basic kernel configuration, when I tried doing a 'make
> bzImage' in my patched kernel source tree, I am getting the following error:
>  CC      arch/x86/lib/bitops_64.o
>   CC      arch/x86/lib/bitstr_64.o
>   AS      arch/x86/lib/clear_page_64.o
>   AS      arch/x86/lib/copy_page_64.o
>   AS      arch/x86/lib/copy_user_64.o
> /tmp/cctZBuCP.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/cctZBuCP.s: Error: .size expression for copy_user_generic_c does not
> evaluate to a constant
> make[1]: *** [arch/x86/lib/copy_user_64.o] Error 1
> make: *** [arch/x86/lib] Error 2
>
> I tried doing a google search, but could not find a resolution to the above
> error. Could someone point out a fix to the above compilation?
>
> Thanks,
> Avinash

Just to add, the GNU Binutils I am using on my gentoo distro is as follows:
sudo as --version
Password:
GNU assembler (GNU Binutils) 2.21.1
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or later.
This program has absolutely no warranty.
This assembler was configured for a target of `x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'.