[Click] Unable to compile patched 2.6.24.7 kernel

Avinash Sridharan avinash.sridharan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 03:29:02 EST 2012

Hi All,
 I am running gentoo with the following configuration:
Linux avi-server 3.1.0-gentoo #3 SMP Tue Nov 8 00:07:22 Local time zone
must be set--see zic m x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz
GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

I am trying to install a "click" enabled linux kernel. Accordingly I
obtained the click sources from git, downloaded kernel 2.6.24 (NOTE:
26.24.7 is not available on kernel.org), and patched the downloaded kernel
with the patch provided in the click sources. However, after patching and
enabling some basic kernel configuration, when I tried doing a 'make
bzImage' in my patched kernel source tree, I am getting the following error:
 CC      arch/x86/lib/bitops_64.o
  CC      arch/x86/lib/bitstr_64.o
  AS      arch/x86/lib/clear_page_64.o
  AS      arch/x86/lib/copy_page_64.o
  AS      arch/x86/lib/copy_user_64.o
/tmp/cctZBuCP.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cctZBuCP.s: Error: .size expression for copy_user_generic_c does not
evaluate to a constant
make[1]: *** [arch/x86/lib/copy_user_64.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/x86/lib] Error 2

I tried doing a google search, but could not find a resolution to the above
error. Could someone point out a fix to the above compilation?

Thanks,
Avinash