[Click] why do we add idle->Todevice with each PollDevice ?

ahmed A. amego83 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 03:31:12 EST 2011

Could you please explain what was the reason of using Idle -> ToDevice in
the past ?
 I am trying to measure the CPU cycles consumed by PollDevice and it seems
like  Idle -> ToDevice has an effect on that, i.e.  Having   Idle
-> ToDevice increases the speed of Polling (number of polls per second)
when you have no traffic, so you will have more empty polls, but as soon as
you remove Idle -> ToDevice  the number of empty polls decreases, I am
still talking about no traffic case. When you have traffic, Idle
-> ToDevice has no effect at all and the Packets/sec is the same either you
have it or you don't, also the number of empty polls doesn't change.

By the way I am using e1000 click patched driver.

Ahmed