[Click] Patchless and AnyDevice::alter_from_device()

Bro, Lars lars.bro at siemens.com
Wed Nov 17 03:36:32 EST 2010

Hello,

On top of the patchless discussion, I tried to make a patchless
compilation on 2.6.36.

This is more or less OK, I had to take care of the same patch issues as
are being discussed on the list right now, but the proper solution for
all this seems to be right around the corner.

But in 2.6.36, there is no br_port member in struct net_device anymore,
and this worries me, because I have understood that the whole concept
behind patchless were the use of "bridge hooks".

I seems to me that originally, if br_port were set in the net_device,
the "handle frame bridge hook" would be called with the port structure
and the skb, instead of handing the packet to the kernel.

So maybe it is just a matter of figuring out how to tell 2.6.36 that the
device is within a bridge, and hopefully, the same or at least similar
hooks are available.

yours,
Lars Bro