[Click] Device types for madwifi in AddressInfo (linuxmodule)

Robert Sombrutzki sombrutz at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Feb 28 10:14:24 EST 2010

Hi,
there are a problem with the AddressInfo element if click is used as a
linuxmodule. If i use the madwifi-driver with other device types than 802.11,
it doesn't work. The madwifi driver supports additional device types (prism,
ath,...). The packet gets an additional header with extra information (rates,
powerlevel,...). The reason that it doesn't work is that the  AddressInfo
element only supports Ethernet- and 802.11 header:
Line 431:
if (dev && (dev->type == ARPHRD_ETHER || dev->type == ARPHRD_80211))

So scripts like:
AddressInfo(my_wlan ath0:eth);

RatedSource(\<0800>, 10, 1000)
  -> EtherEncap(0x8088, my_wlan, FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF)
  -> Print()
  -> Discard;

doesn't work, if the device type is not 801 (see /proc/sys/net/ath0/dev_type).

The patch (see attachment) add additional device types, which are supported by
madwifi (802-805). But the solution is not the best. Is a possible to add an
additional parameter to specify the device type ? E.g.:
AddressInfo(my_wlan ath0:eth, DEVICETYPE 802); //set device type to 802

Best regards,
Robert