[Click] New type in include/click

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Dec 22 11:24:00 EST 2010

Hi Roberto,

On 12/22/10 5:16 AM, Roberto Riggio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to add a new type (an ipaddress extended with an interface id for
> a multi-radio wmn) in
> include/click/.

This does not sound like an include/click type to me.  Have you
considered adding it as a file in your package or element subdirectory?
  You can force it to be compiled with ELEMENT_PROVIDES.

> However after adding the hh file in include/click and
> the corresponding cc file
> in lib i see that the new type is not compiled during the build process.
>
> What should I do in order to have click compile this new files?

You need to edit all of {userlevel,linuxmodule,bsdmodule,ns}/Makefile.in.

> Another question: I'm generalizing some elements (namely arptable and
> linktable) in order
> to handle different types. So and arptable could containt mapping
> between an arbitrary type
> and and etheraddress. In my case for example the mapping is between an
> entity such as
> 10.0.0.10:1 (which is the first interface of node 10.0.0.20) and and
> ethernet address. Would
> this patch be interesting for the upstream click?

Yes!!  I have an outstanding patch in my own tree that makes ARPTable a
template type.  I'll try and add that to the upstream branch at some
point today.

Eddie