[Click] click patches

Harald Schiöberg harald at net.t-labs.tu-berlin.de
Mon Dec 6 09:37:31 EST 2010

Hi Sri,

> Am planning to upgrade the it to CentOS 5.5  (kernel-2.6.18-194.el5).
> Tried to compile Click 1.6 and Click 1.8 both to install with new kernel.
> But failed.

there are currently 3 options:

a) Use a supported vanilla kernel version with the shipped patches, and
do not use the dist. kernel at all. Since I don't know CentOS, I have no
idea whether there are issues with changing the kernel of CentOS, but
usually it should work

b) Use another kernel, and try to make the patches apply. Very (very!)
cumbersome, but the only choice if you need maximum performance on an
unsupported kernel.

c) Use patchless click. It will work with most kernels. I don't know how
performance compares to "real" linuxmodule click.
Patchless is not fully feature-complete yet, but various people have
written a lot on it on this list in the last months, so you have a
chance. Start with one of the patch-series posted on this list, or one
of the inofficial git repos posted on this list.

	Harald