[Click] ARP requests being implicit advertisements

Lars Bro lbro at pulz8.com
Tue Apr 6 09:54:18 EDT 2010

Hi, List

My router sends packets to an IP address that may be hosted by one of
several possible remote systems. In order to support that this address is
switched between these hosts, I use TIMEOUT 1 as argument for the
ARPRequester.

Now I have been told that it is normal that when a new system takes over, it
does some ARP requests (what it asks for does as far as I can see not matter
at all)  with this address as the TELL part, assuming that everybody will
then record that as the new holder of the address.

is it really so?

Would it be possible then, to filter incoming ARP requests for those with
the "shared" IP address in the TELL part, and send them not just to the
ARPResponder but also to the ARPRequester ? I guess that I need to make an
element that makes an "unsolicited" ARP response out of an ARP request.,
then.

Will the ARPRequester react correctly to "unsolicited" responses? or will it
throw these away?

Is this function already implemented, or would it be of general interest to
the community if I post an implementation?

yours,
Lars Bro