[Click] Hi Eddie, I got some question, please have a look at it.

dong yin yindong1982 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 11:09:04 EDT 2009

Hey Eddie,

have been playing Click for several months and I have built up a virtualed
networks platform, but there still a lot work to do to make the platform
provide some good service to user. I tried to modify the click router
running in the user mode (add/remove routes in the routing table). I can
modify the router by the telnet through the port opened in running click
router. And I found it did not work when the machine running the user mode
click router just had one network interface. Here is the problem. How can I
modify the routing table in the running user mode click router? I found that
the basic "iproutetable.hh" and "iproutetable.cc " are the called by
elements named xxxxlookuptable that build up the routing table structures,
especially the handlers such as add_handler, remove_handler , etc. I feel
some confused that when I use the telnet to modify the router, how it works
to process the routing update packet sent by other machines.

Now I try to receive all packets including the router updating packet
through one network interface, and classify them by the content I mark
before receiving. And I build up one element to analyze the data of the
packet, which seems to be done in iproutetable.cc, then call the functions
to process the command such as set,add,remove,ctl, etc. After that, packet
all the feedback from the router updating and send the packet to the user
who wants to update the router. Does it work to update the click router
running in the user mode? Could you please give some suggestion about how to
updating router running in user mode through only one network interface?
Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Dong

ECE Dept.