[Click] Recommendation for network TAPs

Joonwoo Park joonwpark81 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 17:17:27 EST 2009

Gents,

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Beyers Cronje <bcronje at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I would NOT recommend using Click as a tap:  A good Ethernet tap is "fail
>> > open": if the power dies or something happens, the network dies.
>> Agreed. I am not very much keen on using Click as a tap device since
>> (i) I do not want to include tapping artifacts in the packet
>> parameters (timestamp accuracy, delay)  (ii) I want the tap to be
>> extremely reliable.
>

> I agree, Click as a tap is not a good idea for all the given reasons.  One
> possible solution if you have to use Click is to use one of Intel's bypass
> adapter which offers all the bypass features of traditional ethernet taps,
> see for example
> http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro1000_quad_bypass_server_adapters.htm

Definitely I agree too and I think Roman said that click as a tap just
for possibility because this is click mailing list :-)

> Creating SPAN sessions on Cisco switches do not hold well esp if it's
>> a ISR (Cisco 3845)..On the 6504s' I had issues with the SPAN rate and
>> mirrored rate providing different values  due to ASIC limitations or
>> IOS bugs.
>

> I have had success using SPAN/RSPAN, but I recommend you give the VACL
> Capture Port feature a go as we've had greatest performance with it:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk814/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808122ac.shtml
>

>> I am looking to use taps for full-duplex 1Gbps line rate. I am
>> exploring aggregate and the non-aggregate varieties.. Any
>> recommendation of vendors/companies?
>

> The NetOptics products look great. I haven't used them before but they are
> ontop of my list should I need a tap in the future. Have a look at
> http://www.netoptics.com/

As Beyers mentioned here I had used netoptics's gigabit taps
(non-fiber and fiber model, but I don't remember exact model number).
Mostly I used those just for occasional debugging so I cannot say
about the lots of stability but I had no problem and those were pretty
good even though heavy loaded traffics.

Joonwoo