[Click] centos 5.2 click kernel module!?

Roman Chertov rchertov at cs.ucsb.edu
Fri Feb 6 15:10:40 EST 2009

Ann Thornton wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I downloaded CentOS 5.2 from
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/isos/ as is and it seems to come only
> with this kernel (2.6.18-92.el5PAE) as they match with Red Hat EL
> releases. Did you install 2.6.24.7 additionally on top and booting using
> that? I don't mind going to higher kernel versions on top of CentOS, but
> I noticed booting to 2.6.19.2 kernel (that I installed separately)
> caused kernel panic on my HP machine. Being kernel & click newbie,
> thought I would stick with what Cent OS 5.2 comes with. Any thoughts?

You have to pretty much start with a vanilla kernel for which there is
already a patch; otherwise, you will have to patch the kernel that you
have by yourself.  I suggest to read a few tutorials on how to install
Linux and try booting 2.6.24.7.  The tricky part is to get ensure that
the kernel .config file includes all the drivers that are pertinent to
your machine.

Roman