[Click] FromHost Click v1.6

Roman Chertov rchertov at cs.ucsb.edu
Tue Aug 4 13:39:02 EDT 2009

Lorenzo Bianconi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using Click in kernel mode on a system with a three ethernet devices
> and I am trying to understand how is best way to connect the interfaces to
> the router core.
> In order to produce a portable code to other systems (with different number
> of ports),  I am using the Linux bridge utility to define just one interface
> in the Click configuration.
> More precisely I have defined a couple of FromHost/ToHost elements connected
> to the Linux bridge in order to receive/transmit packets from/to the the
> physical devices. Everything works fine but unfortunately
> I have obtained a lower throughput than the one I have achieved with three
> couples of FromDevice/ToDevice elements. I am using Click v1.6 and analysing
> the FromHost code in Click v1.7 I have noticed that in this version was
> added a queue to store incoming packets received from the Linux kernel.
> Is it possible that the FromHost packet managment in Click v1.6 is not very
> efficient (since it handles only one packet at a time) and defining a queue
> for the incoming packet I will obtain a higher throughput?

I doubt that this is the case.  The kernel has its own queue which feeds
into FromDevice.  You can see the size of this queue by doing 'ifconfig
<DEV> | grep txqueue'.  FromDevice was changed to avoid locking issues
which started to appear in 2.6.24.7 kernel (you can search a discussion
on the issue).  I highly suggest to grab the latest sources out of git
as 1.7rc1 does not have all the bug fixes which were introduced later.

Roman