[Click] FromHost Click v1.6

Lorenzo Bianconi lorenzo.bianconi83 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 13:24:38 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I am using Click in kernel mode on a system with a three ethernet devices
and I am trying to understand how is best way to connect the interfaces to
the router core.
In order to produce a portable code to other systems (with different number
of ports),  I am using the Linux bridge utility to define just one interface
in the Click configuration.
More precisely I have defined a couple of FromHost/ToHost elements connected
to the Linux bridge in order to receive/transmit packets from/to the the
physical devices. Everything works fine but unfortunately
I have obtained a lower throughput than the one I have achieved with three
couples of FromDevice/ToDevice elements. I am using Click v1.6 and analysing
the FromHost code in Click v1.7 I have noticed that in this version was
added a queue to store incoming packets received from the Linux kernel.
Is it possible that the FromHost packet managment in Click v1.6 is not very
efficient (since it handles only one packet at a time) and defining a queue
for the incoming packet I will obtain a higher throughput?

Thanks

Kind regards

Lorenzo