[Click] Passing information from user level application to Click kernel module

Se Gi Hong segihong at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Oct 3 14:34:54 EDT 2008

Thanks for your all replies.

It seems that I gave wrong example. Actually, the application level will
pass strings to the Click kernel module in run-time. I will look into
write handler whether I can use the write handler in run-time.

Actually, I found one way to pass the information from application level
to the Click kernel module. The way is using configure. Configure passes
the information in run-time.

For example, test-mine.click has
"FromDeivce(eth0)->myelement(1)->ToHost;", and it is running in runtime
by using "click-install -u test-mine.click". If I want to pass other
integer, I will change the test-mine.click to
"FromDevice(eth0)->myelement(2)->ToHost;", and then I will run it by
using "click-install test-mine.click". since the Click kernel module is
already running and without "-u" option,  the command won't restart the
module and it will only pass the "2".

Thanks,
SeGi.

Eddie Kohler wrote:
> Also realize that it is extremely unlikely that passing a filename to
> the kenrel will be useful.  Lots of people seem to want to use fopen()
> etc. in the kernel but you can't.  If you want to access file data and
> you are not already a kernel programmer, then do it at user level.
>
> Eddie
>

> Roman Chertov wrote:
>> Se Gi Hong wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I am running Click as a kernel module. I am wondering how to pass
>>> information, such as file name and IP address, from the user level
>>> to the Click in the kernel level. I am thinking of using syscall,
>>> but I think there must be an alternative way.
>>
>> You can use write handlers for that.  You can take a look at
>> FastUPDSource kernel element.
>>
>> Roman
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> SeGi