[Click] Implementation Questions

Tushar Soni omega_marines at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 11:53:27 EDT 2008

Hello,

I have this particular scenario (explained below) and I was wondering how I should go about it. It would be great if you could give me some guidance regarding it.

My particular scenario (local, using say the 192.168.5.xx range) involves 2 laptops (both using the atheros chipset and madwifi
driver running on SuSe). One of them acts as the access point (AP) and the other is in normal station mode(STA) connected to this AP. Now at the AP, I am
streaming a video from VLC to the STA in a unicast fashion (which is
pretty easy, by just specifying the ip address of the STA and the port
on which the udp packets are being sent in VLC running at AP... the STA
listens to the udp packets at the specified port and plays the video). At the STA I want this packet to pass through Click (right now i just need to pass it through and later add my own element to do something with these packets). Now currently at the STA I have this particular configuration running in Click (user mode):

FromDevice(ath0, SNIFFER false)->Strip(14)->MarkIPHeader->IPClassifier(dst udp port 1234)->KernelTun(1.0.0.1/8);

This is able to play the video in VLC. Now here are my questions:

1. If I change the scenario to multicast mode (i need to do this), where VLC at AP streams to a multicast address (say 225.225.225.225). At the STA normally we can join the multicast address by specifying it in VLC and we can see the video. But like my scenario before I want to pass these packets through Click (so that I can modify using my element). The above configuration does not work and I am not able to find a way to do it. It would be great if you could help me with this.

2. FromDevice (with sniffer bool as false) puts a KernelFilter and prevents the kernel from processing the packets arriving at a particular device (ath0 in this case) and thus passes the packets to Click. Now I want to do a something like this but in the opposite direction at the AP side. I want the packets coming from VLC to pass through Click (so that I can modify them before sending them out) and then send them out through a particular device (ath0). I am a little confused about how to implement this.

Thank you for your time. I would be really glad if you could help me out with this.

Regards,

Tushar