[Click] devirtualize for an embedded system

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Mar 6 16:35:11 EST 2008

Hi Giovanni,

First off, I've changed Click to not check for click-buildtool unless
something really needs to be compiled.  The previous code required buildtool
even if nothing needed to be compiled.

To see if your configuration was really using the devirtualized elements, try
something like

click CLICKFILE -h flatconfig -q

If you see some declarations like

IPClassifier at 2 :: FastIPClassifier@@IPClassifier at 2;

with double-at signs, then you are running devirtualized code.

It's been a long time since anyone has TESTED the performance of devirtualized
code.  I wouldn't be surprised if the devirtualization transformation wasn't
very important on embedded systems.

The module has the source in it because the module always has the source in it
:)  There's really no need to remove the source, although if you want you can
using "ar".

Eddie