[Click] Click and e1000e

Roman Chertov rchertov at cs.ucsb.edu
Mon Aug 25 16:25:31 EDT 2008

Adam Greenhalgh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been playing with the ixgbe driver, I have reception for a single
> queue working but am currently trying to get multiqueue support
> working.
>
> Does any one have any thoughts on how click should handle NICs which
> support multi queuing ? Our current thinking is that each queue needs
> a separate click "poll" element to enable multithreading to work.
> However this breaks the current poll element device ownership model.

I am not sure if creating a poll element per queue is good idea, as it
will generate a lot of wasted cycles.  I think it would be better to
configure a PollDevice to have multiple outputs corresponding to the
number of queues it is configured to serve.  Also, I am not sure how
many people will want to use the Microsoft toeplitz RSS hash to enable
multiple input queuing in the first place.

ToDevice in polling mode can be made to accept multiple input ports and
then according to the port it would put the packet in the corresponding
output queue.  Then the card will serve the output queues in round robin
fashion.  I think it might be interesting to modify ToDevice further, to
allow priority processing of the output queues.

Roman