[Click] Click and e1000e

Roman Chertov rchertov at cs.ucsb.edu
Tue Aug 19 19:22:49 EDT 2008

Adam Greenhalgh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been playing with the ixgbe driver, I have reception for a single
> queue working but am currently trying to get multiqueue support
> working.
>
> Does any one have any thoughts on how click should handle NICs which
> support multi queuing ? Our current thinking is that each queue needs
> a separate click "poll" element to enable multithreading to work.
> However this breaks the current poll element device ownership model.

I have not checked the manual extensively, but how does the card
schedule which queue should be drained?  Or do the queue owners
cooperate in creating a schedule?

My progress so far:
I have managed to get the igb poll_on/off, tx_pqueue and tx_clean to
work.  I changed those functions to heavily rely on the already existing
igb code.  As a result, tx_eob and tx_start are just empty shells now.
With the new code, I have managed to send 1.4 Mpps 64-byte frames.

I still need to do the RX code before the driver becomes useful.

Roman