[Click] [click] Selective dropping of packets

Beyers Cronje bcronje at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 12:13:45 EDT 2008

Hi,

1)Don't worry about the configure() in it. It has nothing to do with the
> main purpose os the element. We are not using the variables we parse in
> configure() anywhere.

I was not talking about configure(), I'm talking about your click
configuration file. I.e. FromDevice(eth0) -> FlowShaper -> Queue ->
ToDevice(eth1);

2)Main purpose as I already told is to discard packets which are not
> conforming to certain policing rate. I am able to find the packets which
> sholud be discarded by the algorith I used,Virtual Scheduling
> Algorithm(Similar to leaky bucket).

I dont know the algorithm, so I'll presume it is working as intended.

> 3)The main problem is discarding the packets I selected. As you see in the
> program
>    Variable 'j' keeps track of total number of packets which are
> transmitted. Now the problem is - Let us say I ran iperf between source and
> sink for some time T,with out using the two lines I used for discarding the
> packets and then I ran iperf between source and sink for the same time
> T,with the two lines I used for discarding the packets (keeping all other
> conditions same) . The value of j'' should nearly be the same in the two
> cases. But the value of 'j' in the second case is getting reduced by 50%. So
> the rate  of packets which are being emitted is getting reduced. How can
> discarding certain packets effect rate of emission of packets??? Thanks for
> replying so fast. Looking forword to hear from you.

The packet dropping code looks fine.

How do you monitor 'j' ?
There are many factors that can influence the rate, starting from the source
NIC, network, Click host RX NIC, Click host load, PCAP or Packet Socket
capturing (seeing your element is for userlevel Click), your algorithm
speed, etc. etc.

Rather use the Counter element to monitor rates and counts, that's what its
there for.