[Click] Fwd: [click] Selective dropping of packets

Beyers Cronje bcronje at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 11:29:11 EDT 2008

Please respond to list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pradeep Pradeep <pradeep_addada at yahoo.co.in>
Date: Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Click] [click] Selective dropping of packets
To: Beyers Cronje <bcronje at gmail.com>

Hi,
  Attached is the iamanet folder, The element I am talking aboout is
FlowShaper.

1)Don't worry about the configure() in it. It has nothing to do with the
main purpose os the element. We are not using the variables we parse in
configure() anywhere.

2)Main purpose as I already told is to discard packets which are not
conforming to certain policing rate. I am able to find the packets which
sholud be discarded by the algorith I used,Virtual Scheduling
Algorithm(Similar to leaky bucket).

3)The main problem is discarding the packets I selected. As you see in the
program
   Variable 'j' keeps track of total number of packets which are
transmitted. Now the problem is - Let us say I ran iperf between source and
sink for some time T,with out using the two lines I used for discarding the
packets and then I ran iperf between source and sink for the same time
T,with the two lines I used for discarding the packets (keeping all other
conditions same) . The value of j'' should nearly be the same in the two
cases. But the value of 'j' in the second case is getting reduced by 50%. So
the rate  of packets which are being emitted is getting reduced. How can
discarding certain packets effect rate of emission of packets??? Thanks for
replying so fast. Looking forword to hear from you.

Regards,
Krishna.

Check out the all-new face of Yahoo! India. Click
here.<http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_frontpage_2/*http://in.yahoo.com/?wm=n/>