[Click] Polldevice not working with atheros

Giovanni Di Stasi gdistasi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 05:31:55 EDT 2008

Il Friday 11 April 2008 02:48:16 Adam Greenhalgh ha scritto:
> To make a device pollable in click requires a fair bit of hacking of
> the driver itself, which is probably not worth doing for an atheros
> device given its low data rate compared with a 1G wired nic. Why it
> kernel panics using FromDevice I'm sorry I haven't got any ideas. Try
> user space click with the atheros using from device since I doubt you
> need kernel level click for a wireless device.
>
> Adam

Hi Adam,
from my experience you need kernel level click for wireless devices more than
for any other device, especially when you cope with embedded systems.
With user level click is very difficult to achieve acceptable performances,
whereas with kernel level click you have some chance (even though the
performances are not very good). The problem is the utilization of the
processor that goes up to 100%. Do you think it could be useful to do polling
in this circumstances?

Thank you for your answer... Incidentally, I must thank you and JoonWoo Park
for your work on click patch for kernel 2.6.24. I'm using it and it's working
quite well.

Best regards

--
Giovanni Di Stasi, Junior Researcher
Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica

Phone:    +39 081 7683821
Fax:      +39 081 7683816
E-mail:   giovanni.distasi at unina.it