[Click] FromHost->ToDevice and ARPResponder

dmoore7@nd.edu dmoore7 at nd.edu
Mon Jul 30 15:28:27 EDT 2007

Hello,
I've been working on manipulating outbound traffic, and am confused by the use
and examples of a FromHost -> [stuff] ->ToDevice system.
My understanding from documentation is that I ought to filter all outgoing
traffic:
FromHost -> Filter;
Filter for ARP Requests -> ARPResponder -> ToHost;
Filter for IP Traffic -> ToDevice

Won't sending all ARP requests to an ARP Responder, and connecting back ToHost
prevent any ARP Requests intended for other machines from getting out?

What is the simplest configuration to intercept all outgoing packets, pass them
though a Print element, and then send them on their way?  I have worked with
using FromHost to capture the traffic, but I do not understand why I can't
simply pass it on to ToDevice.

In short, what prevents a simple configuration like this from functioning?
http://www.nd.edu/~dmoore7/clickconfig1.click

Thanks for your time and input,
 - David Moore