[Click] distributed source control

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Jul 17 16:24:05 EDT 2007

Hey Bart,

So the Git system will be just as easy as anonymous CVS, for the basic
anonymous CVS operations.  Where previously you typed "cvs co", you will now
type "git clone".  Where previously you typed "cvs up", you will now type "git
pull".  Where previously you typed "cvs diff", you will now type "git diff".

As Brendan points out, one can use a distributed system in exactly the same
way you currently use the more centralized system.  Click's home repository
will still be the center of development (for as long as it is maintained).
The advantage is it will hopefully get easier for people to test out their
ideas, and for me to integrate those ideas.

We'll see how this goes.  One advantage of git (although hg might have it too)
is that git can serve the CVS protocol.  So you can easily continue using
anonymous CVS as if nothing had changed.

Thanks,
Eddie