[Click] AverageCounter bug

rchertov@purdue.edu rchertov at purdue.edu
Thu Jan 4 16:36:59 EST 2007

Hello,
   I noticed a bug with the AverageCounter when it would not report correct
rates.  This usually would happen at GigE speeds when at least 10 million
packets are sent.  The reported result would be much smaller than the actual
true rate.  I have attached a fix that fixes the problem.  Previously I would
get numbers that would sort of wrap around.

E.X
more /click/ctr/rate
600000
more /click/ctr/rate
50000
more /click/ctr/rate
23000
more /click/ctr/rate
500000

Now, it turns out that I can send 1.5 million pps from one card to another on my
machine.  I have also tested this fix for a variety of rates from udpgen and the
reported rates from the counter are close to the desired rate.  Also at very
high rates UDPGen can be off by as much as 50Kpps from the desired rate.

Roman Chertov