[Click] FreeBSD kernel module installation problems

Samuel samufuentes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 10:42:38 EST 2007

Hi,

I was trying to install the kernel module into a FreeBSD and run into some
troubles. I am not an expert and don't understand very much where the
problem can be, so any kind of help is welcome. I downloaded the version
1.4.3 as the 1.5.0 seems to have that part broken. I installed it following
the instructions but it doesn't seem to be running (it could also happen
that I don't know how to run it). After some reading into this list's
messages I tried:
./configure --enable-bsdmodule --with-freebsd
to get:
Can't find /usr/include/net/if_var.h and/or
/usr/src/sys/kern/vnode_if.pl.  Are you sure /usr/src/sys
and /usr/include contain FreeBSD kernel source?

and afterwards I tried make bsdmodule to get:
echo "bsdmodule  app aqm ethernet icmp ip standard tcpudp" |
../click-buildtool findelem -r bsdmodule -p .. > elements.conf
../click-buildtool elem2make < elements.conf > elements.mk
gmake: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/sys/kern/vnode_if.pl', needed by
`vnode_if.h'.  Stop.
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/local/share/click-1.4.3.

Looking into the system I found the /usr/include/net/if_var.h where it was
supposed to be, but instead of /usr/src/sys/kern/vnode_if.pl I found
/usr/src/sys/kern/vnode_if.src

Here is where I got empty of ideas. I don't understand very well where the
problem is. It seems to be newbie stuff, but I cannot figure it. Any hint?
(I am using FreeBSD 6.1, in case it helps)

Thanks,
Samuel