[Click] problem linking external libraries for click packages ( patch included )

Vladimir Bychkovsky vlad at mit.edu
Fri Feb 2 15:01:45 EST 2007

I've copied the sample package and followed the FAQ to include
external libraries. However I have experienced a problem with exactly
the same symptoms as [1].

I have noticed that the ELEMENT_LIBS( ... ) tag is extracted from the
source correctly. It is also assigned to ELEMENT_LIBS variable in
created uelements.mk. However, this variable was not used in any of
the included makefiles (according to GREP).

Changing pkg-userspace.mk fixed the problem.

Original pkg-userspace.mk, line 77
	$(CXXLINK) -o $(package).uo $(OBJS)

Modified pkg-userspace.mk, line 77
	$(CXXLINK) -o $(package).uo $(OBJS) $(ELEMENT_LIBS)

Note that makefiles for built-in elements do include a reference to
$(ELEMENT_LIBS), i.e. this problem would only come up when trying to
link *packages* to external libraries. I don't know all the subtleties
of the Click make environment, so I don't know if this it the right
way to fix this problem. However, it worked for me.

Vlad.

[1] https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/pipermail/click/2006-October/005247.html