[Click] Click newbie question - ping program

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Aug 28 15:43:07 EDT 2007

Hi David,

Running real pings, i.e., ICMP echo messages, is not trivial at user
level.  This is because you need to install firewall rules that prevent
the kernel from processing the pings as well.

I've just added a KernelFilter element, and a SNIFFER false optional
argument to FromDevice, that will handle this for you on Linux
automatically.  See conf/test-ping-userlevel.click in the current git
repository.

Eddie