[Click] Polling patch problems with Intel 82571EB.

Egi, Norbert n.egi at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat Aug 18 14:06:28 EDT 2007

Hi,

I've been using a Dell 1950 with two PCI-E 82571EB dual port cards with the latest driver available in the Click cvs (or git). It worked quite well when I used only a single port in a configuration, although sometimes right after booting up it polled only 62 packets, but after uninstalling and installing the script back again the driver worked properly without any problems and I was able to poll out packets at line rate even with the smallest frame size.

However, I started to use multiple interfaces in a configuration, thus have multiple PollDevices in the script and after a little while one of the interfaces stops to come up when I load my script. I checked and it's definitely not a hardware issue as I tested different ports and different machines too and even on the same machine it happens to different interfaces after rebooting it. There is no message about it in dmesg, only that the interface goes down and doesn't come up when the configuration is installed:

device eth96 entered promiscuous mode
click: starting router thread pid 3178 (c18a4d40)
device eth97 entered promiscuous mode
e1000_poll_on
click: starting router thread pid 3177 (c18a4dc0)
e1000_poll_on
e1000: eth96: e1000_watchdog_1: NIC Link is Down
e1000: eth97: e1000_watchdog_1: NIC Link is Down
e1000: eth97: e1000_watchdog_1: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: None
device eth97 left promiscuous mode
e1000_poll_off
device eth96 left promiscuous mode
e1000_poll_off
click: stopping router thread pid 3178
click: stopping router thread pid 3177
poll f90c0ee0: 2/999999 freed, 70/999930 allocated
poll f90c1320: 2/123 freed, 1/62 allocated
click module exiting

As you can see above, eth96 goes down but doesn't come up, as opposed to eth97 which comes up and works properly. After this the "faulty" interface doesn't work at all, not even polls that 62 packets.

I was wondering whether anyone has the same card operating well with click multiple polling and could share his/her kernel config or tell me what the problem can be in my system or where to look for it. When I compile the driver I don't get any errors or warnings at all. I attached my kernel config to this email, I'm not sure whether there is anything wrong with it, but just for the case.

Thanks,
Norbert